Re: [OM] Bought a new film scanner - marginally off-topic (OT)

Subject: Re: [OM] Bought a new film scanner - marginally off-topic (OT)
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 22 Apr 2000 17:19:28 +0200
Yo,

on Fri, 21 Apr 2000 02:00:14 EDT, DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx wrote:

>WOW Not being familar with film scanners, I can only say WOW. I was going to
>launch into a spiel about how no one does fireworks like Germany (when I
>lived in Nuernberg in the 70's for five years, the New Year's fireworks from
>my balcony were outstanding, and the firework shows for the tourists in
>Rothenburg on the hot summer evenings were great also) when I noticed the
>title..Epcot! oh well...the clarity of the scans is wonderful and has me
>thinking of getting one for my huge archive of slides (even tho I read a
>generalization today that woman don't like slides??) Thanks for sharing.

Thanks for your kind words. I always thought the fireworks at Epcot alone
are worth the price of the entrance ticket. I've never seen anything like
that combination of fireworks and laser show which is also synchronized with
the music they are playing along with it, and lasts a full 15 minutes.
Definitely a must-see for any fireworks lover. Very crowded, though, which
is why I did not want to set up the OM-2n on a tripod and used the XA
instead. That said, of course we have some pretty nice fireworks over here,
too. For instance, I'm planning to try to get a few more shots in August -
the fireworks at the end of the Sandkerwa (an extremely nice funfair) are
usually quite breathtaking.

>I am heartbroken as my trip to Germany planned for September may be postponed

Oh oh - sounds familiar. I guess my own trip to the US in fall won't work
out either, due to the incredibly bad Dollar exchange rate (which is what
happens when you have politicians stupid enough to exchange a good, hard
currency like the Mark for a worthless, butter-soft one like the Euro).

>til '01...the couple that were providing one of the week's lodgings had to
>back out of the trip due to a change of jobs, PLUS my 41-year old furnace
>finally cracked the firewall a couple of weeks ago. Bummer.."when it rains,
>it pours".

You're only planning for a week? Very short time for that far a trip.
Anyway, if you would like me to check for some good, cheap lodgings in the
region just let me know. And give me a holler no matter if you're going this
year or next; we might be able to arrange for a meeting - how about a tour
of Bamberg guided by a native (me :-); make sure to bring your OMs and
plenty of film as it's very picturesque - but I suppose you must have been
here before if you lived in Nürnberg for so long). Of course, this offer
stands for any list member as long as I'm able to fit it into my schedule.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--
Volkhart Baumgaertner     email: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx