Re: [OM] Lenses, films, general advice

Subject: Re: [OM] Lenses, films, general advice
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 20 Apr 2000 10:54:18 -0500 (CDT)
On Wed, 19 Apr 2000 23:13:09 -0500, Michael S. Williamson wrote:

>Hello again everyone.  My family and I are spending the last week of June
>and the first week of July on a (guided) tour of Italy and Greece.  I'm in
>dire need of photographic advice.
>
>My initial thought was to take my OM-4, a wide angle, a couple of zooms, and
>a 1.4.

So far, so good...

> No flash (leave
>the T-32 at home).

Big mistake - take a flash. I can almost guarantee that there will be
something you'd like to shoot indoors or at night that you'll need a
flash for.

> No tripod.

Another hmmm... how about a lightweight monopod that could double as
a walking stick, or be propped up for an "it'll do" tripod?

>My latest thought is to take three bodies.  I'm thinking of keeping a
>different speed film in each (100, 400, 800).

Probably overkill if you're trying to go light. I'd take two bodies
and leave one in the hotel room for a backup. Film's not that hard to
change, and there's no shame in shooting half rolls if conditions
change (film's cheap!)

> I'm also thinking of picking up a
>table top tripod for shots from hotel windows or whenever a convenient
>height ledge is available.

Good thinking.

  From my review of Gary Reese's lens tests, f8 or
>f11 would be the optimal f-stop to use for most of my lenses.  I want to
>keep the shutter speed up so as to eliminate camera shake.

While f/8 and f/11 are the optimal apertures, that doesn't mean you
can't get stunning results wide open or completely closed. Don't get
too hung up on test results. A well composed, well exposed picture
that is at a sub-optimal aperture is still better than the same
picture at the optimal aperture, if f/8 or f/11 gives you the wrong
DOF or shutter speed. Take a critical look at National Geographic,
Sports Illustrated, or another magazine known for its photography -
you'll find a lot of shots that could possibly have been a little
sharper, exposed a little better, or had a little less distortion,
but they tell a story, focus your attention on the subject, and thus
work well despite the minor flaws. Think in terms of the whole
picture.

I'm afraid that
>throws me to 400 or 800 speed films.

There are worse things. 400 and 800 speed film gives some nice
results - especially overexposed by a stop.

I'd take:
>24mm f2.8
>50mm 1.4
>35-70mm, f3.5-4.5
>75-150mm

>Okay, what would YOU advise taking?

If you had one of teh Zuiko 200s, I'd consider talking it and leaving
the 75-150 at home.

BBB
-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel