[OM] Next Services 67 Miles

Subject: [OM] Next Services 67 Miles
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:15:36 -0500
One thing I learned about Wyoming is that distances between services (gas,
food, lodging) signs actually are true.  Gillette west to the Bighorn
Mountains is pretty much a wasteland with exits leading off to dirt paths,
an occasional oil well and lots of cattle grates.  It was the middle of the
night and I'm hoping to sack out at some location along this stretch.  Had
I known what was there (or not there) I would have just taken an exit,
popped down a dirtroad for a couple hundred feet and sacked out.  I made it
as far as the Powder River rest area (exit 88) which has the only trees for
I think 30 miles in any direction.  I slept for a couple of hours in the
jeep and after my legs screamed at me to move, I drove the rest of the way
to Sheridan where there was another nice rest area which I slept an
additional couple of hours.

That morning I set off across the Big Horn Mountains on Highway 14.
Wyoming must be pretty limited in population in these parts as I drove
nearly 30 miles on 14 while encountering only two vehicles coming the other
way.  The mountains had plenty of snow at the top and had I had money I
could have rented snowmobiles to play around on.  The wind was blowing snot
(or is that "like snot"), and I accidently left my winter coat at home
(dumb).  Travelling down the Shell Canyon I noticed jeep trails heading off
the road.  Aha!  Gotta justify the toy somehow.  I whip off the road onto
one of these trails (264) and immediately discover that it is a "low-range"
trail.  Cool!  Two miles of sliding, banging and crawling and I emerge into
a neat grove of trees with a small stream.  Not only that, but there is a
campsite!!!!!  I make lunch and take a few pictures around the area.
Foolishly I get bored with the spot and decide to head on.  I grind my way
back out and discover that I was camped almost directly above the Shell
Canyon Falls.  That little stream also cascaded nicely about 100 feet to
the river below.

I aimlessly drift west to Cody across the Big Horn Basin.  On the map, the
Big Horn River is shown about 20 miles wide.  Hey, I lived on the
Mississippi.  That little scratch in the earth barely measures 20 meters
wide.  I guess they must turn the river on for the tourists.  <g>  I
finally arrive in Cody and must decide which way to go.  Yellowstone is
closed except for the Montana entrances and I had done my research on the
Shoshone River anyway so I headed west up the Canyon the 50 miles to the
park entrance (closed).  I got a few pictures, but was disappointed that it
took 30 miles to escape the sagebrush and get into "real" mountain
territory. I ended up camping in a National Forest Campground as far up as
I could.  My tent was pitched about 20 feet from the Shoshone river and the
river sounds put me into a wonderful sleep for nearly 10 hours.  There were
warning signs everywhere about Grizzly bears so I carefully checked over
the soil for any footprints that would evidence bear activity.  Failing to
find any I was still careful about any food odors and was probably smelling
a bit rich for any self-respecting bear to approach anyway.  Regardless, I
find out the next day that there was a bear attack just a little ways away
from me.  That poor guy was fishing and the bear must have heard his little
annoying bells and smelled the pepperspray.

Emblem, Wyoming is shown on the highway maps, but don't expect to find a
McDonalds or Burger King there.  Population 10.  Can you imagine what those
city counsel meetings are like?

I head back over towards the Big Horns but off from Hwy 14 I take a road
called "Red Highway" something.  This is a road that travels along the
perimeter of the basin.  Pretty rude terrain and a rough road.  I reached a
point where the road hits a T and allows you to travel up to the National
Forest.  I traveled a couple miles up that road until I started blasting
through 18 inches of snow.  I was far enough away from anything and I don't
have a winch or tire chains so I sadly turned around and coasted downhill.
In 30 miles I encountered one vehicle.

Near Hyattville I saw two coyboys on horses moving a bunch of cattle down a
road.  I took a picture of them with the mountains in the background.
Probably another classic (boring) shot of the Big Horn Basin, but
nevertheless, special to me.  Should be a sellable shot regardless.

Back over the Big Horns on another road, more muddy jeep trails (I think
the Jeep's color is red) and a burned out headlight.  I got some neet
pictures of storm clouds over the snowy peaks and just managed to leave
Buffalo as a downpour was heading in.

I drove back east and detoured to Devils Tower.  I got there in the evening
and walked the trail as the low sun peaked through the clouds creating a
nice mood lighting on the tower.  Decided to head home as the forcast for
Friday was cold, snow/rain and windy.

Ken Norton
Image66