[OM] Badlands and beyond

Subject: [OM] Badlands and beyond
From: Ken Norton <image66@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Apr 2000 20:17:23 -0500
It look like I'll be leaving Sunday evening around 9:00pm for points west.
Thanks to the miricle of modern expresso, I will pull an all-nighter and do
sunrise in the badlands.  Once lighting gets boring I may head farther west
into Wyoming and toward Yellowstone.  Yellowstone is an unknown and I
haven't decided yes or no yet.  It is a bit farther than I wanted to go and
a bit colder too.  But I am enough of a recalcetrant to do what isn't
really logical.

I think that instead of the mountain bike I will pack the X-country skis,
so I can "get off the beaten path" inside the park.  Not really tourist
season yet, so I can kinda do my own thing.  Just gotta remember to wear
those dingy bells and carry pepper-spray.

I've got Provia-F, T400CN and Sensia-II 400 for the OMs and lots of Velvia
for the Mamiya.  I even have a package of Portra-160VC that I might sneak
into the bag ($4.00 per 36-exp roll).  I've got two Lowe-Pro bags to carry
the stuff inside the jeep, but have my trusty daypack that will hold
whatever equipment along with my fishing vest.  I'm checking into renting a
Nikon F4 with really long tele for the week too.

Thanks to everybody who responded on and offlist to my "cry for help."  I
might end up spending my entire time in South Dakota, but at least I won't
do it out of ignorance.  The thought of tooling around on Federal land in
my 4WD also is pretty intruiging.  Been a long time.

If I do get out to Yellowstone, I will most likely try to pop over into
Idaho so I can get that state bagged.

I'm getting excited about the trip, although with such short notice I
haven't had a chance to do as much research as I'd like.  Sometimes it is
nice to be "free to discover" without preconceived ideas too.  This trip
has been a long time in coming and I figured that it has been five years
since I've done my last journey and that was to New Mexico.  As usual, I
will probably push myself into conquering that climb and should have some
great survival story to tell.  If next week you see on the news a headline
about some nutty photographer wandering off and a huge search and rescue
mission it will probably be me.  I'll be sure to reserve one picture for
photographing my rescuers.  Seriously, I have a keen sense of survival and
always plan my escape routes and alternatives.

I'm packing everything from shorts to winter weather garb.  I'll probably
get everything from sub-freezing weather to summer conditions depending on
where I am.  Suppose I should pick up another couple sets of batteries for
the OM-2S.

Ken Norton