Re: [OM] TOPE 1: new entries added

Subject: Re: [OM] TOPE 1: new entries added
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 07 Apr 2000 01:26:26 PDT
Hi guys,

First off:
Chip Stratton is in the gallery too now! Another cool entry in which a "difficult" lens is used in a very clever way. Cool stuff!!!

Then for John's comments:

I think Olafo needs some kudos for setting up the TOPE site <applause>!

Noticed how you made it expandible for future events and like how its set up. Easy to navigate.

Thanks a lot for the nice words John (and the others who have given me some off-list kudos)! :)))

Yes, it is a lot of work to set-up the original frame work, but it's also fun to do! Besides, by spending a bit more time on the frame lay-out now, for the future events it will save me a lot of time. Some details: the script (principally spoken) needs no further tweaking; I should be able to simply call it with different parameters and it should (and will! ;) ) work. So, if I decide to change the lay-out of ALL the entries, I only have to change one script. That saves heaps of time. Then, the way I set up the frames, the basic lay-out (again, principally spoken) needs no further changes (although I may enhance the graphics a bit, as they're rather sober now). For the rest of the events I just need to add a thumbnail subpage, and I think I will automate that too soon (not just yet though, first I need to write some Perl code that dynamically can determine the dimensions of JPEG files). So, as you can see there are some plans for further enhancements, and maybe I will even fully automate the submission process, so people can fill out an on-line form and don't have to mail me their submissions.... We'll see, technically spoken it's all possible, but maybe it's not desireable...

Once again there is an eclectic, very imaginative group of photographs. I am humbled by the current entries. Some were done with the older Oly rangefinders! The ADITL and now TOPE are growing into a very nice collection of galleries.

I think this is one of my main interests in the list! I'm especially into the photography itself, and not so much into too much discussion (although that is interesting and very helpful too at times). I think we have a fine collection of photographers on the list, and you by no means are the least of them! I very well remember your ADITL3 entry being one of my favourites, and this time your entry probably is my favourite too!

Thanks for all your work on this Olafo,

Again, you're more than welcome!
Moreover: thank _you all_ for your great submissions, as those are what really makes the ADITL/TOPE events a success!!! Good stuff, and I really hope many more submissions are to follow still, as it _is_ fun to see what we all look like! :)))

Ah, yes, one more thing:
Giles: I'm working on digging up some older (previously scanned) pictures of mine, in which you can see me completely, but I used to have these on my university's server, and that account now seems to have been blasted away (as I graduated over two years ago). If/when I have access to them, I'll include a link to them. Ye threw down the gauntlet, and I'm picking it up!!! ;)))

Cheerio!
Olafo

PS: Over the weekend I cannot add entries (no Internet access), so if you send in something then, I will post them on Monday.