Re: [OM] camera for my 12yr old

Subject: Re: [OM] camera for my 12yr old
From: Daryl F Hurley <dhurley@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Apr 2000 15:58:09 -0500
On Thu, 06 Apr 2000 13:00:26 EDT "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
writes:
> Well, it appears that my 12yr old daughter is interested in
> photography. I bought her Kodak's "Joy of Photography", which she
> likes. She's going to practice on her mom's Canon AE-1 Program. I
> offered to buy her her own camera someday.
>
>  I think once she
> uses on OM camera that she may prefer one, but she lives way too far

>  Whatever I get her, I want her to
> like it so that she uses it and I don't waste money on something
> that sits on a shelf.  I think she's coming up to visit
> in May, so I'll let her use my OM-1. If she prefers it, then I'll
> get that for her.

More competitive, or perhaps better said more comparable, feature-wise
might be an OMG.  No "program mode" like the AE-1, but it does have
automatic, and after the program and automatic modes on the canon she
might miss that on the OM1.  Granted, I think learning should be done on
a manual camera but like you said, you want her to use it.  It takes all
the OM accessories, only drawbacks are no dedicated flash (only normal
auto and manual) and focusing screens are not interchangable.  Also
cheaper than an OM1.  It's what I got my daughter so I could pry my OM2n
out of her hands.  I'll probably never get that 50/1.4 back from her

My $.02 worth.

Daryl Hurley
Topeka, KS