[OM] Elitechrome 100 reflectance tests

Subject: [OM] Elitechrome 100 reflectance tests
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 23:14:26 +1000
After getting a few badly exposed slides, suspicion fell on my
OM-2SP's meter. But perhaps it was the film reflectance, so I
ran some tests. I'll explain the methodology I used, since it
is different from that used previously on this list (which
I am afraid I think is wrong, both theoretically and because
the results claim Kodachrome requires correction).

Four exposures were made of a Kodak 8 x 10 grey card using the
Tamron 90mm f/2.5 macro lens set to a fixed f/stop:

  1) At 1/250 in bright sun, TTL auto.
  2) At 1/60 in shade, TTL auto.
  3) At 1/60 in shade, using manual metering.
  4) Inside, using TTL flash (T20).

The slides were processed at a good professional lab I use
all the time and examined on a 5500K colour-corrected light
table. This was done using the OM-2SP (acquired a few months
ago, apparently unused in box) and again using an OM-4 I've
been using for a while with Velvia and Kodachrome. The lens is
known to transmit aperture accurately; many don't, and
slide (3) will probably detect that.

The results were identical for both bodies. Slides (1) and
(3) were correctly exposed, and (2) and (4) were 3/4 stop
overexposed.

The two rolls of Elitechrome were from the same batch and
marked "Made in USA 08/2001 2371". It would be interesting if
someone could repeat the experiment elsewhere in the world,
perhaps using a different batch from a different plant,
and establish whether the -3/4 stop compensation needed is
repeatable (well, you can establish that it isn't).

BTW, the T20 gives a noticeably blue cast comparable with
the shade slides (it's rated at 5800K). It really needs a
skylight filter.