[OM] .....New Guy - Old Questions.....

Subject: [OM] .....New Guy - Old Questions.....
From: "claire" <clairetm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 5 Apr 2000 07:53:50 +0800
Dear Craig.....
U wrote.....

>> I'm a new list subscriber on the very verge of becoming an Olympite.  It
>> could happen tonight, depending upon your advice.    So, here we go:
>>
>> I have the opportunity to trade my vintage Nikkormat FT for an Olympus
>OM-2
>> or OM-2S Program.  The cameras appear to be in good working order and are
>> equipped with their respective Nikkor and Zuiko 50mm f1.8 lenses.
>>
>> 1) Are the cameras comparable in quality and ruggedness of build?  (I do
>not
>> abuse equipment...in fact, I baby it...but durability is important to
me).

I wouldn't worry about ruggedness cos U are already a careful user. So, lets
leave that out of the equation.

>> 2)  How do the Nikkor and Zuiko optical qualities compare?  (I find
Nikkor
>> less than thrilling...but that's because I owned Leicas for years until a
>> family illness forced the sale of my modest collection).

I have never owned Nikkors. But from what I can see in the pics these lenses
produce, I think they are pretty competent lenses. For general picture
taking situations, I guess U won't split hairs about their performance.
Unless of course, U are looking for Leica lense qualities, which U do indeed
have the benefit of using and seeing for yourself 'stratospheric' qualities
they are capable of.

The Zuiko range of lenses have reached cult status. Maybe more so becaose of
their dwindling numbers in the market , whether brand new or resale. But
then again , it is true that soem of their lenses are truly star performers
even when compared against German marques.

Notably, they are :
Zuiko 90/2 Mac
Zuiko 85/2
Zuiko 21/2 and or the 21/3.5
Zuiko 100/2

..... perhaps some more, which some OMer on this list will strongly vouch
for.

Olympus is also famous for their very strong Macro equipment and lenses.
They beat all others in this dept., at least in terms of
comprehensiveness.... if there's such a word.

>> 3) Given equal condition, which Olympus is preferable, the OM-2 or OM-2S
>> Program?

Olympus is famous also for thier metering. A camera repairman, once told me
that of all  the brands, Oly meters are the most accurate and most reliable.

U should capitalize on this strength.

If I may throw a red herring...... Would U consider buying / trading for an
OM4 or OM4Ti ? These are pro level bodies. Carrying spot metering (up to 8
different spots). Very small bodies, a definite plus point. Very elegant
cutting too.

I figured since U are already in th eresale market, why not get the best in
the Oly range .

Worst still, would U consider keeping your Nikkormat, then rebuilding your
Leica system ? The leica is for keeps.

Peace
TMLee