[OM] Looking for om equipment -Reply

Subject: [OM] Looking for om equipment -Reply
From: Scott Nelson <SNelson@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 04 Apr 2000 10:33:40 -0400
Well, I hate to add to your expense, but if you're going to shoot macros of
butterflies with flash you really need to get the flash off the shoe. With the
135 on the autotube you won't be able to aim the flash without the lens getting
in the way. To do that, you'll need a TTL shoe and cable, a T series flash or a
PC Sync cable for manual flash and a "butterfly bracket" (see John Shaw's The
Close Up in Nature). You could also possibly use the BG2 although it doesn't put
the flash close enough to the front of the lens IMHO. Bogen, Kirk, and Lepp all
offer macro flash brackets. I'd recommend checking out Shaw's book in any case
as a primer on nature macro technique. For negative film, I'd suggest AGFA HDC
Plus 100 or AGFA Ultra 50. For slides, Fuji Vevia, AGFA RSX 50, or Kodak E100vs.

>>> <blwsings@xxxxxxxxxxx> 04/03/00 02:54pm >>>
I am a relative newcomer to the list and to Olympus OM photography.  I
had a Rollei SLR with a zoom lens when my kids were small, but gave it
away and opted for a point and shoot Olympus.  I have recently felt a
strong desire to do some nature photography, specifically butterflies.
Someone donated an OM-G with a 50mm lens and a Zuiko 100-200 telephoto
to me recently and I have been shooting mostly birds and landscapes as
the butterflies are just beginning to reappear.
Hans Van Veluwin was kind enough to give me some advise about equipment
that he felt would me more appropriate for my purposes; namely an OM-2n
body with a 1-4 or 1-10 focusing screen, a 65-116 auto extension tube,
and a 135mm macro lens (which I recently purchased from KEH).  After
looking realisticly at the prices on online stores and watching the EBay
auctions, I have begun to realize what an expensive proposition this
is.  Therefore, I decided to put this wish list out to the members of
this list and see if anyone had some equipment that they would be
willing to part with.  Function is much more important to me that looks
so if you have some ugly stuff that you would be willing to sell to me I
would appreciate your response.  Oh, a flash of some sort, and any
advice about what type of film would be best and how to find reasonable
processing would be greatly appreciated.

Regards,
Barbara Wheat
blwsings@xxxxxxxxxxx
P.S. I think this list is great.  I have learned alot just lurking
around