[OM] My home studio set-up

Subject: [OM] My home studio set-up
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 03 Apr 2000 02:41:31 PDT
Hi,

Funnily enough, just like Tom, yesterday I decided to set-up my home portrait studio. :)

At present I'm seriously limited in the light set-up I can make, as I only have one TTL AutoCord T, being the 0.6m one. Therefore I chose a rather unusual flash set-up: -I taped translucent white paper in front of the windows (which are located on the south), this provided diffused base lighting, so the flashes didn't have to do too much work; -1 T32 off camera, firing into a small (+/- 16") white umbrella. To the right of the model, for frontal-side lighting; -1 T28 in 1 head mode, On the camera, on the T Power Control, with a T32 wide angle diffuser filter on this head. Right in front of the model, for full frontal (diffused) lighting;
-White reflectors to the left of the model, and below the camera.

The flash/umbrella/camera set-up was all at body height. The lenses used were initially the 100/2 (for a few head-shoulder portraits), and then the 50/1.8, for showing a bit more.

The set-up was rather rigid because of the short cable, so I was very limited in selecting the camera-subject distance. The 50/1.8 allowed me to take head-chest portraits. In all pictures the camera was mounted horizontally (because of the heavy T power control on top of it) on a tripod.

The first shots (@ f2.8) I took made the flashes indicate that the exposure was o.k., but in the camera viewfinder the "over" indicator was burning, and the green light didn't blink. Changing the aperture to f4 cured this problem.

I was surprised to see how quickly the flashes recharged (probably because of the short flash-subject distance, combined with the base lighting provided by the windows). At a certain time it went like: shoot, wind, shoot, wind, etc. and the flashes managed to keep up!

For the background, I used a really wildish, but fun, one: being tiger pattern gift wrapping paper. Through the viewfinder this looks really cool, but I hope it won't be too distracting. This was used for _all_ the pictures, maybe I shouldn't have done that. We sought the variation in the clothes Gioconda and Karol were wearing, rather than in the background.

These shots were more than anything test shots. The things tested were the light set-up, the choice of lens/aperture, the reflectors, posing (Gioconda and Karol), choice of clothes and attributes, and the background.

Gioconda poses o.k., but she does need some "hints" from the photographer, but Karol (Gioconda's 9-year old daughter) is a natural talent. She immediately poses for the camera in a very natural and relaxed way. I think Karol might be the better model, but maybe Gioconda will loosen up a bit too when we've done this more times.

The only thing which I'm a bit afraid about is what the results will look like, as I got totally caried away and blasted no less than 5 rolls of 36 exposure film (Kodak Gold 200 ASA) through, so if something is not alright, all pictures will be failures. Neverthelesa, at least for the poses the pictures will still serve a purpose, and let's just hope that the set-up worked o.k...

I hope to have the pictures on Wednesday/Thursday (if the morons at the central don't "mess things up", as has happened on a previous occasion! :( ), so then I should know more, and if things worked out I may even add a special studio photography sub page to my picture gallery...

Cheers!
Olafo