[OM] Diffusion effects

Subject: [OM] Diffusion effects
From: "Dave Bulger" <dbulger@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 2 Apr 2000 18:26:26 -0500
Zuiks,

There is a chain of portrait studios here in Austin called Clicks that is
very popular with the teenage crowd, offering cheap, quick portraits in the
mall.  They've got an effect that I can't figure out for the life of me, and
it's driving me crazy.  Their shots are definitely shot with a diffusion
filter of some sort, but the prints have a luminosity in the skin tones that
is difficult to describe.  I haven't asked the list about it because I
didn't think I could describe it accurately enough to reverse engineer.

I was watching the Lost in Space movie with my teenager this afternoon and
saw the effect again.  It appears when the young teenager (Penny?) is making
diary entries on her little wrist camcorder -- THAT'S the effect.  Diffused,
but something else.  Possibly a ring light?

Checking out the setup in the Clicks' studio, they're just using a digital
camera with standard umbrella lighting and monolights, with an additional
flash on the camera hot shoe, printing the portraits out while the customer
waits (dye sub?).

Any help would be appreciated and help me back towards that fine line
between sanity and wherever I am...

TIA!

Dave