Re: [OM] Re: Digital imaging

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Digital imaging
From: bhinderks@xxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 02 Apr 2000 09:07:33 -0700
At 09:55 AM 4/2/00 -0400, Doris Fang wrote:

>   Until someone besides Polaroid starts making a sizeable profit
>from digital camera sales, specially to snapshooters (who drive the
>entire image-making industry), pro-quality digital systems will be
>basically low-volume custom pieces. If the economy ceases to grow at this
>rate er...eternally, that R&D (ad)venture capital will be among the first
>to evaporate. As much as we like to think that the Internet is everything
>to come...few e-companies are making a profit (not even Amazon!)
>and the big numbers in stock prices are purely speculative. E-sales
>are currently (according to the industry's own figures) less than
>30f all retail sales. Yes, I know all this will change (as the Sanyo
>Sensei said: film cameras gone by 2002, right ?) soon, but a little
>voice (in a Bart Simpson voice) keeps whispering: "Are we there yet ?".

Well said Doris. There is far too much hype in the whole digital world. The
Vancouver Sun switched to digital a few years ago. One body per cameraman,
electronic transfer, no more darkrooms -- guess what, they aren't happy
campers and were at last report taking a long hard look at going back to
silver. Go figure.

Barry H