Re: [OM] 300mm 2.8 and things to come!!

Subject: Re: [OM] 300mm 2.8 and things to come!!
From: "Ron Crabtree" <crabtree@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2000 23:21:47 -0800
Dear Warren,

Thanks for the email.  As for the lenses, the Tokina 300mm 2.8 would fare
very well against the Zuiko 350mm 2.8, believe it or not.  It is a
phenomenal lens, but was not matched to the Oly 1.4x and Tokina does not
make a quality teleconverter for its old manual focus lenses, just the
autofocus versions.  By itself, the Tokina is razor sharp, but with the Oly
1.4 or 2x, it was a bit soft.   The Sigma was a very nice lens but had a
similar major shortcoming--it would not accept any quality 1.4x extender on
the market.  It would not even accept the Oly 1.4 because of the protruding
lip.   My need for a 500mm+ lens for wildlife work is the main reason I am
going autofocus.  I have already purchased a Canon EOS-3 and a Canon 300mm
2.8.  The Canon lenses are matched to Canon's 1.4x and 2x extenders and used
fast 500-600mm prime lenses are available for not much more than a used
350mm 2.8.  There you have it in a nutshell.

Regards,

Ron Crabtree