Re: [OM] Zuiko 80mm's -followup

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 80mm's -followup
From: Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 2000 08:06:32 -0500

I was searching the "searchable archives" for notes on dating "later bodies" and
serendipitously found notes on the 80mm f4 auto macro, in particular that it
will focus to infinity on a the 25mm extension tube, but naturally not on the
auto-extension tube 65-116(shortest extension is too long).  I tested this for
myself with my old style extension tube set and found it would focus at infinity
with the 14+7 extensions.  Suddenly I really wish I had sprung for the newer
auto extension tube set.  Then I started to examine f-stop versus "depth of
field" and it took me a minute to realize what was going on - the preview button
doesn't have quite the same effect ;-)  On the 14+7 close focus with the fine
helicoid is about 3 meters.  Naturally you could get closer with additional
extensions!  If you wish to repeat the hunt the interesting bits were in the 97
archive.

Olympus/Maitani really put the System in "System Camera".

John  Hermanson writes:
   >>Is it true that the 80mm f4 must be used on the bellows or Auto tele
   Extension tube (because the lens only has a fine focus helicoid and cannot
   full-focus on it's own)?  I haven't seen one of these in years.<<