Re: [OM] I'm pi**ed - Completely Off-topic---dreaded ebay rant

Subject: Re: [OM] I'm pi**ed - Completely Off-topic---dreaded ebay rant
From: Gary Reese <pcacala@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 14:06:33 -0800
Tom S. writes:

<< I sold a very nice OM-PC on ebay. Described it accurately, posted
pictures.  Tonight I logon to find that the buyer left negative feedback
saying the camera wasn't as described.  He never even emailed me!  I
always offer 7 day no questions asked returns.  All he had to do was
email me. >>

Interesting character, this guy (ROB6712@xxxxxxx). Now he writes me and
tells ME I have no business e-mailing  him with my comments on the
feedback he posted for all the world to see. Hum, I thought that was the
purpose of Feedback - to let others know how you feel? Anytime one lets
others know how they feel, they are open to judgement, which they are
free to accept or (in his case) not accept.

FWIW: in my book, a 9 (KEH=Ex) condition can have many MINOR wear marks.
One would think that with 3 different views of the camera, showing no
notable blemishes, this camera was easily a 9. Unfortunately, Excellent
is all too often used as a general phrase for camera condition. To me,
it is a rather broad condition grade ranging from a few scattered and
minor blemishes (9+ or Ex+) to noticable wear marks from ill fitting
parts (like strap clips!) BUT COUPLED WITH light use (9- or Ex-). Once
wear from frequent use starts showing up (near complete hinge brassing,
early lens mount flange brassing, leatherette smoothing, cap thread
wear), I jump down to at least an 8 (BGN). Heavy use but operationally
functional gets a 7 (UGLY). Anything lower is "As-Is." (So much for
"Excellent but the self-timer broke off"). It is vague since there are
so many possible manifestations of use, but I think experienced folks
start seeing the same grades unless they live in a vacuum.

I chuckle at 10+ descriptions. How can one have better than Mint or Like
New (my 10-, which is KEH=LN-)? If it has the box and all the paperwork,
call it a 10 (KEH=LN). But that is tops.

Maybe the toughest area for agreement is "Like New" or "Mint."  There
are those who will allow a minor mark or even two and others who will
examine the item under a scope and if there is any mark they will argue
it is a lesser condition. It is most interesting to note that very often
folks pay more on average in auctions for Ex+ condition Olympus OM
equipment than they do for LN-. There is more competitive bidding on
Ex+, perhaps because users (the majority) don't want to even compete
with collectors (the minority)???

Gary Reese
Las Vegas, NV