Re: [OM] Going autofocus (Was 300mm 2.8 and things to come!!)

Subject: Re: [OM] Going autofocus (Was 300mm 2.8 and things to come!!)
From: Denton Taylor <denton@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 25 Mar 2000 09:41:31 -0500
At 11:41 AM 3/25/00 +0000, you wrote:
This topic was raised a couple of weeks ago regarding a site which was
critical of AF cameras and lenses. Below is a repeat of my posting to that -
and it still hasn't been answered.

There was a recent article I believe in Pop Photo on this issue. AF cameras consistently were farther off than careful manual focusing.

>My question is : whence come all those excellent
images - seemingly pin - sharp - that I constantly see in magazines,
newspapers and books and on web galleries, many - if not the majority -
apparently taken by autofocus cameras, often in the hands of professional
photographers? "

Of course, you are right. DOF covers the differences. Mainly, what we have is a bunch of obsessives (us) who worry about resolution, bokeh, etc., when really all modern lenses are capable of delivering reasonably sharp and contrasty images.Don't matter if it's Nikon, Canon, Olympus. Maybe even Sigma :-)

I do believe there are differences between lenses that are visible. But printing presses cannot capture them. Only a large print or lightbox inspection with a high-power loupe will show them.

Regards,
Denton Taylor

Photogallery at www.dentontaylor.com.
Panoramas and Immersive Imaging at