Re: [OM] Re: Being Hassled...

Subject: Re: [OM] Re: Being Hassled...
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 03:21:38 +0100
Yo Les,

on Wed, 22 Mar 2000 12:29:20 -0500, you wrote:

>>If I get into a situation like that abroad a funny thing tends to
>>happen - somehow I suddenly forget all my English. ;-)
>
>But, does this help? Don't they then try to convey the message with
>gestures, threatening or otherwise?

Sure, they're still digging for the last one that threatened me...... ;-)

But seriously - I just don't seem to be able to understand their words or
gestures, and it seems so far I did not give any of them the impression that
threatening me would be a good idea. So they usually figure it ain't worth
the trouble and give up. Fortunately I have not had to resort to this method
too often so far - in most places I've been to they'll let you take your
photos in peace.

Also, how I react depends on the reasons for their actions. If they are just
trying to pull my money out of my pocket because I'm not using the standard
tourist equipment and they think they can milk pros (which I am not) they
are likely to get the mentioned reaction. If they have legitimate reasons -
like, for instance, in some Turkish mosques I've visited where taking photos
is completely prohibited for religious reasons - I (though not religious
myself, but this was only an example for _one_ possible reason anyway) think
even a hardcore photographer should respect that.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--
Volkhart Baumgaertner     email: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx