Re: [OM] Question on night shooting

Subject: Re: [OM] Question on night shooting
From: Volkhart Baumgaertner <kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 2000 02:21:09 +0100
Yo,

on Tue, 21 Mar 2000 21:45:16 EST, JOHN SCHEUERER wrote:

>              I am planning on doing some night shooting soon.
>             I wonder if anyone out there with night photography
>             experience [color, in fairly well lit town] can suggest
>             what film [slide and or print] to use. What works best
>             for you?

It depends on what exposure times you're aiming at. My nighttime shooting
mostly consists of rather long exposures (at least 10 seconds, in most cases
over 30), obviously using a tripod or some kind of a bean bag (for some of
my best twilight shots I abused my leather jacket by crumpling it up on a
wall or fence post and putting the camera on top; very good dampening of
vibrations, too). For fireworks (one of my favorite subjects) I like Kodak
Gold 100 (see my ADITL3 shot); for illuminated buildings and objects I've
had some very nice results with the discontinued Fuji G 200 (I have not
tried its current successor, Superia, for that type of shot yet, but am
planning to test Superia 100 as well as Agfa HDC 100 as soon as possible),
and also with Polaroid High Definition 200.
Note that for exposures long enough for reciprocity to kick in the lower ISO
film may actually be the more sensitive one as reciprocity tends to be
higher on high ISO films. So you can save some money by using standard 100
ISO film and at the same time get finer grain.

MtFbwy,
Volkhart

--
Volkhart Baumgaertner     email: kyu@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx