Re: [OM] Question on night shooting

Subject: Re: [OM] Question on night shooting
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 2000 07:06:48 +0000
It depends some on what type of night shooting you are planning.  I
discovered by accident that Portra 160VC worked out very well (for me) for
large city night shooting.  If you are doing "street" shooting (candids of
people) you may want to use a faster Portra 400VC.  The film has
exceptionally wide latitude which helps with very contrasty subject
material.  The difference between man-made street lights and dark shadow or
sky is very high.  The wide latitude also makes it forgiving of modest
exposure error.  Narrow latitude films can be very difficult to use under
these circumstances.  If the VC seems too "vivid" and you want more of a
pastel type response, Portra also comes in 160 and 400 "NC" which is more
neutral (less saturation), although the "VC" is only a very modest
saturation level.

-- John