[OM] Wide Angle page is live now!

Subject: [OM] Wide Angle page is live now!
From: "Olaf Greve" <ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 02:17:46 PST
Cc: j.korten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hi all,

This message is on the verge of being a blatant plug, however, it's also of interest for people collecting Olympus gear or looking for some hard to find items. If you take no interest in either of these two, or are offended by this plug, I suggest you read no further.

I realise that lately there has been some controversy about how far to take posting messages with commercial contents, and therefore I was a bit balanced against sending a message like this one to the list. However, I think the list members can greatly benefit from the contents in this message, so I'll post this information just once, and urge you to send any and all comments/flames to me off-list.

Now that that's out of the way, here goes:
Finally the time is here to inform you all of some happy news, as the "project X" I've mentioned once or twice on the list, is now entering its initial launch, and you guys are the very first to know about it!

As you could read in one of my messages from last week, I'm helping Jaap Korten (a true Olympus legend in The Netherlands - and the owner of the Wide Angle store) getting fully online. One of the things involved in this, is making a homepage through which Jaap can display information about his collection, and through which he can sell (mainly OM) gear.

As I wrote last week, Jaap has one of Europe's biggest Olympus collections (possibly even THE biggest one), and knows a great deal about Olympus. E.g., it was Jaap who showed me the article about the custom made white 100/2 and the white OM-3! Furthermore, Jaap is involved in writing a book about the Pen series (of which he has a _complete_ collection), and for those purposes he travels from time to time to Japan to "interrogate" the people at the Oly headquarters themselves!

Now, the Wide Angle page is divided in two parts:
1-The catalogue: in this section, the visitors can order online. The catalogue mainly consists of OM gear, and has some really rare items, like 2 1000/11 lenses and a 250/2 lens. The catalogue section is currently completed, and will be updated by Jaap from time to time. As a token of "good will" and common courtesy to the list members, I've negotiated a 10% discount for list members. How does this work? Well, it's very easy. On the shopping basket page, you can provide a discount code. If the code is valid, you will be given the 10 0iscount (this is made visible on the screen). Hans pointed out to me that it may not be a good idea to post the discount code in this message, as one never knows who reads the archived digest versions. Therefore, anyone who wants to get the discount code (active member or not) can send an e-mail to ogreve@xxxxxxxxxxx and ask for it, after which I will send it to you. 2-The collection: this part is unfortunately still under construction because of a lack of time on behalf of myself, and of Jaap. Gradually Jaap will write the text for the collection page, and provide me with pictures to be included with the text. I will then properly lay out the stuff, and put it on-line. The idea is that this section will become interactive, in such a way that anyone can add interesting information about specific items to the page. As such, it should become a really interesting collector's corner, and possibly, it could even contain extensive information a la Hans' excellent e-SIF pages, but then about e.g. the Pen system. For now, there's only place holder text on these pages, but keep on checking back for the actual cool stuff! Actually, if someone has some suggestions for this section, I'd be happy to hear them.

So, having said all this, most of the information has been passed on to you, but for the URL, which is: http://www.wide-angle.nl (http://www.wide-angle.org also works).

Good, I hope I haven't offended anyone with this message, and as stated before, this is the only time I will send such a plug for Wide Angle to the list.

Finally: have fun browsing the catalogue, the collection page, and interacting with Jaap, who will join the list very soon too, to add to the ongoing discussions!

Cheers!
Olafo

PS:
Disclaimer:
Just so there's no misunderstanding: Yes, I am getting paid for this page. The deal is that I will receive a flat fee (a second handed 35-80/2.8) and cheap future deals (this totals out to a price well below what an Internet consultancy company would have charged). I don't receive any commissions based on sales etc. so whether the Wide Angle shop sells 0 items or 10,000 items through the page, is immaterial to me.