Re: [OM] Zuiko 90mm vs 135mm 4.5? AND 80mm???

Subject: Re: [OM] Zuiko 90mm vs 135mm 4.5? AND 80mm???
From: Tmoynihan@xxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 22:06:04 EST
In a message dated 3/20/00 2:05:48 PM, mail@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

>The manual version of the 80/4 has no protruding rear elements and can
>directly be mounted on the camera.

While this is true, such a configuration does not yield any useful results
(unless the intent is to achieve a photograph which is out of focus from the
end of the front element to infinity!  :-)  But if that's what wanted, we'd
just use a Diana, wouldn't we? ;-).  ).   Seriously, I thought this would be
a possibility, too.  After all, it works that way with the 38/3.5 and
mounting adapter, why not for the 80/4 (Early model), which already has a
mount built in?  Fact is, it doesn't work (unless it's just mine that is
broken).  But, with the addition of a 25mm tube (I didn't have a shorter one
to see if they would work also), it provides very sharp focus to an area of
about 7" X 10", with a working distance of at least two feet.  I think I will
try this, perhaps with a flash.  It will only be in focus at a single
distance, but on the other hand, set ups for objects of the correct size
should be a snap, and the camera/tube/lens combo are very light and robust!

Regards,

Tom Moynihan
Dallas, TX