[OM] I shot my grandpa

Subject: [OM] I shot my grandpa
From: "Dirk Wright" <wright@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 2000 10:40:24 EST
Well, I had a great time burning up 3 rolls of film on my grandfather
and his girlfriend this weekend. It was a regional square dance
festival at the local Hyatt Regency. He's 86yrs old, she's about 66. He
likes younger women. ;-) They are avid round dancers, so had plenty of
oppurtunity to get them in costume and in motion. I also paid for a
formal portrait with the official photog. All of 25$ for that. I also
shot some viritual volume of square dancers and others with the 24mm. I
mostly used the 50mm, sometimes the 100 also. The OM1, three lenses and
a shoe mount flash all fit in a nice Domke fanny pack.

For those that are not familiar with this stuff, the women wear these
dresses with petticoats so that when they swing around thier dresses
fly up, revealing whatever thier wearing under there. The men typically
wear Western garb, including bolo ties, etc, often matching thier wives
in color and pattern. It's the only place I think where you'll find men
wearing really fru-fru outfits and being proud of it. There were a lot
of pompodors hairsprayed in place on the men....Of course, most people
were well into thier later years, and not very pretty either. Lots of
fat people doing the dosey-doe......:-) This stuff is all pre-sexual
revolution, but it is loaded with sex and romance in a different way.
In the old days, single people would go to a dance to find a mate. The
flying petticoats were I think intended to add spice to the mix, as the
men wore thier best outfit to show off also. I think a lot of this is
about reliving thier youths, and about acutally really relating to your
spouse. The dance is a physical representation of the condition of
thier relationship. If they are getting along well, then they will
dance smoothly, otherwise, watch out! I think a lot of modern marriages
could be improved with this type of activity.

Be seeing you.

Dirk Wright