Re: [OM] Photography in "public" places

Subject: Re: [OM] Photography in "public" places
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 2000 13:45:08 +1100
Robin wrote

> said that 'it's 150 GPB per hour to photograph in
> here and all parks in the borough of Westminster'.

Wayne wrote

> I got told to STOP taking photographs in a shopping centre a few
> months ago

Tentative theory: private v. public property.

The Borough of Westminster is actually *private* property, owned
by the Duke of Westminster. All property in it is leased, rather
than freehold. Furthermore, if by "square" you mean the enclosed
park area within the railing fence, it may well be a private
area for the houses which surround it, a bit like a body
corporate common property.

Shopping malls are private property, as distinct from strip
(UK: high street) centres.

Gregg Iverson wrote

> It's common practice in the US as well to not allow photography in a mall.
> When I asked why, the reply was the decor idea belonged to the company that
> owned the mall and they did not want it used elsewhere.

They're flattering themselves, if your malls are anything like
our malls. (Well, they are. An Australian multinational owns
many of them.)