[OM] Tokina 300/2.8

Subject: [OM] Tokina 300/2.8
From: "Barry B. Bean" <bbbean@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 08:26:25 -0600 (CST)
On Sun, 12 Mar 2000 18:06:57 -0700, Ron Crabtree wrote:

> I am selling my Tokina 300mm 2.8,

FWIW, I bought a Tokina 300/2.8 a few weeks ago and have been blown
away by the lens. My lens tests side by side with my Zuiko 300/4.5
(an excellent lens) show it to be superior to the Zuiko at each of
the apertures I tested** (wide open, 4/4.5, 11, 22), and the lens
gives useable (very nice, in fact) results even when coupled with not
one but two 2x adaptors (Tokina 7 element and Zuiko 2X) making it a
1200/11.2. Bokeh is excellent, close focus is *very* nice, and
focusing is a piece of cake and lightning fast. Images literally pop
into focus, and the focus travel is much shorter and easier than the
Zuiko (in fact, it could use a little more resistance).

** I tested the lens mounted on an OM-4T with self timer  on a Bogen
3221 tripod with 3265 head shooting a coarse tapestry (lost of 3D
detail) approx. 20 feet away with camera mounted flash from my
Sunpack 433D and using Provia 100. Trying to simulate my real world
use I shot both lens wide open, 4 on the Tokina and 4.5 on the Zuiko,
and both lens at f/11 and f/22.

While the Tokina gave superior detail at edges and center at every
aperture, the Zuiko appeared to suffer slightly from vibration. I
assume this was because it is so much lighter than the behemoth
Tokina. For a much fairer test, I would recommend re-testing both
lenses with lens support, beanbag, orother dampening - that would
likely produce results that would showboth lens very comparable.

Finally, these lenses really have different uses. Whereas the 300/4.5
is small enough that I occasionally throw it in my bag for running
around shooting, the 300/2.8 stays at home until I know I need it for
a specific shot or use (i.e. sports).

BBB
-
B.B. Bean - Have horn, will travel