Re: [OM] Panning (was Sigma APO 400/...)

Subject: Re: [OM] Panning (was Sigma APO 400/...)
From: sje@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 10:07:41 GMT
Keith Berry wrote:

>I'm afraid modern motorcycles impress me as much as
>'wunderbricks' do - they both may be efficient and technically advanced, but
>why do they have to look so bland or ugly?

Probably for the same reason that most modern cars are bland *and* ugly. I
don't see people mostalgic for a Morris Marina or BL Princess (non-UK list
members should be grateful they didn't suffer these things). At least there
are massive performance, reliability and handling advantages over the old
bikes, even if they don't have the same emotional/aesthetic pull for the
more mature bike fan. I have no desire to ride a classic Ariel or Triumph to
work, praying it doesn't break down over the next 50 miles (not that praying
would help). Nice to look at, but give me a modern bike for actually going
places. The comparison with 'wonderbricks' is only partly accurate IMHO.

I'm hoping to get some more pics of classics - it's just a case of finding
the opportunities. In the meantime I have a small number of images of
classic bikes on another website:
http://www.v-four.freeserve.co.uk/classic.htm
More coming to this page during the next couple of days...

Cheers,

Simon E.