Re: [OM] Framing your prints

Subject: Re: [OM] Framing your prints
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 2000 20:58:35 -0000
Giles says

>Now having mentioned what I 'do' I will mention what I intend to do when I
>have used up my current supply of materials.  When I was in the printers
>getting the board I noticed a display of samples of a  plastic board like
>material with a very nice finish available in numerous colours.  I think
>it must have been some sort of foamed plastic.  Anyway, it looked really
>slick and could be used to mount a print directly on without messing
>around with card.  I asked some questions but the proprietor was out so I
>could not get any firm details on cost etc but I think it would be more
>expensive than what I currently use but would give a nicer result with
>less messing around.

Sounds like you have found some stuff which I think is called "Fome-Cor".
Expanded polystyrene faced with a plastic/paper surface that you can
spray-mount (or Spraymount) your prints to. Cuts easily with a scalpel, very
light weight, easy to work with and fairly rigid.

The artists' supply shop here (England) has an unbranded one at GBP2.40
(USD3.60ish) per A3 sheet. The branded stuff comes from Daler-Rowney and is
available in all sort of fancy configurations - coloured surfaces, different
weight/thickness, adhesive already applied etc. - and correspondingly more
expensive. They have a website, at a rough guess try www.daler-rowney.com .
Anyone who sets up exhibitions of any kind is probably a big fan, on account
of the light weight.

I like it for some applications, for others I prefer a traditional card
bevelled window mount.

John