Re: [OM] (Fwd) WeinCell Batteries

Subject: Re: [OM] (Fwd) WeinCell Batteries
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 20:41:27 +0000
Cc: olympus@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
At 18:16 3/1/00 , Daryl wrote:
>The Porter's Camera Store catalog advertises WeinCells for $5.95 saying
>they're "the only exact voltage replacements for discontinued mercury
>batteries. With performance identical to a mercury cell..."
>
>I'll buy these and save looking, scrounging, begging, etc. but I'm wondering
>if those of you who are familiar with the WeinCell agree with the statements
>in the ad.
>
>Also, Porter's offers three types: replacement for a) PX625/PX13, b) PX675,
>or RM400R. I think I saw a previous post indicating that it was a) that was
>used in the OM1. Am I correct?
>
>TIA for your help.
>
>Daryl
>Loveland, CO

I've used one of these in my Rollei 35S for a while before switching to the
MR-9 adapter.  Reason was not any problem with the Wein except no local
availability of them.  Worked well for some time and metering was quite
accurate.  I would have no problem continuing to use them except for my
local availability issue and having to mail order them.  Those who live in
more populated areas should be able to find them at large camera stores
which we just don't have anywhere near me.

One of the individuals who helped develop the Wein replacement is on the
Rollei mail list.  Although its concept is similar to a "hearing aid" cell,
it was designed to have a much greater capacity than one.  They may not
last quite as long as a PX625 Hg cell but they will last much longer than
the off-the-shelf 675 zinc-air hearing aid battery with adapter ring.

-- John