RE: [OM] ball or pan?

Subject: RE: [OM] ball or pan?
From: "Buddy Walters" <IRBWalters@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Feb 2000 07:55:43 -0800
-----Original Message-----
From:Behalf Of Acer V
Subject: [OM] ball or pan?

OK, time to get some more opinions:... both the pan/tilt and ball heads are
about the
same. Pros/Cons of each?
/Acer V
----------------------------
Hi Acer,
Generally, heads can be divided into groups of use and dictated by
speed/ease in which you can set them up.
P&T is best for Landscape, Scenic and Macro.
Pros:
Best for any photo where vertical and horizontal lines are important, i.e.
Setting horizons level.
Forces you to look at all 3 vertical, horizontal and rotation positions
during set up.
Cons:
Very slow to set up.
Locking and loosening ALL 3 adjustment arms can be a pan in the ?? to keep
track of, easy to forget that one arm is not locked.
Adjustment arms stick out 4 to 6"'s and catch on everything, also makes it
difficult to pack when traveling (especially by air).

Ball Heads are best for sports and wildlife.
Pros:
Ball Heads are in a league of their own for fast set up time, i.e. wildlife
etc.
You can use only one adjustment knob for setup.
Nice compact head, great for traveling.
Cons:
Very difficult to set BOTH vertical & horizontal at once and get them
correct.
Some Ball Heads do not tilt for portrait / vertical photos, if you tilt to
the left and want the adjustment knob in a position to use with your left
hand (examples; Kirk ball head, Gitzo).
The best quality Ball Heads cost twice the $$'s than the best P&T.

My choice for my first general purpose head would be a good P&T.

Good Luck,
Buddy Walters