Re: [OM] Newsgroups

Subject: Re: [OM] Newsgroups
From: Christopher Biggs <chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 29 Feb 2000 09:49:11 +1000
I'm gonna send this to the list, for general consumption.  I hope
this'll be a short thread.

> ------- Forwarded Message Follows -------
> From: Reynolds Paul <PReynolds@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
>
> I have noticed various references on the list over the last few weeks to
> Newsgroups and what is available for sale etc.
>
> When I try to access these via my PC at work, I get the message programme
> not found, ie MSINM.EXE. Does anyone know where to obtain this file?
>
> As far as a "domestic" PC is concerned (in the UK), do you need to
> su*bscribe to an internet provider, ie AOL etc? I currently use BT Click,
> since there is no charge over and above the local call rate, but don't
> seem to be able to access at home either.

I've been reading Usenet newsgroups for, oh, about ten years now...

Your internet provider should have a Usenet news server (also called
"NNTP server" which stores articles and exchanges them with the world
wide network of news servers.

To read Usenet news you've got three options

1.      Use a WWW based service such as www.deja.com or www.remarq.com
        (Suitable for light or infrequent use)

2.      Use a WWW-browser with built-in newsreader.  This is what you're
        trying to do, I suspect.  This is okay for light use in quiet
        groups, but a bit like trying to slice a roast with a
        swiss-army-knife.  Newsreaders that are a "bag on the side" of
        a WWW browser tend to be buggy and low on features.   The
        very latest versions of IE and Netscape are *much* better
        than the earlier ones, with respect to reading newsgroups.

3.  Use a "newsreader" program that just does Usenet news.  There are
        dozens of free ones for all tastes and operating systems.
        (See below for more info).  A powerful newsreader will have
        sophisticated article filtering and scoring.  For example when
        I read the photo forsale groups my newsreader hides anything
        about brands I don't use, and highlights anything to do with
        Olympus.  Posts from known "good-guys" are highlighted, and
        posts from known idiots or crooks are hidden.

Hope this helps,
                        Chris.

p.s. check out these sites for more info on Usenet and how to use it:

        http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Lab/6882/
        http://scwww.ucs.indiana.edu/NetRsc/usenet.html
        http://www.newbies-netguide.com/usenet/ulist.html

--
Christopher Biggs -- chris@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx -- Stallion Technologies Australia.
There's a bug in my mailer that mangles my sig but V guvax V'ir svkrq vg abj.