Re: [OM] polarizing filters on 28mm lenses

Subject: Re: [OM] polarizing filters on 28mm lenses
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 21:49:39 +0000
At 00:25 2/22/00 , Joey wrote:
>My question is: is the 28mm wide enough to vignette with an ordinary
>tiffen or hoya polarizer stuck on it?  Would I be able to mount the
>screw-in hood into the polarizer, or would I have to forego the
>hood for these shots?  Is there any reason to prefer hoya vs. tiffen
>for a single coated polarizer (I shouldn't even spring for the
>single coated version, and I definitely can't spring for
>the more expensive hoya or b+w multicoated filters)

I've never had a problem with a polarizer or other filter and the hood.  In
general OEM hoods are slightly oversized to allow for at least one filter.
It's not until you really get into the super-wides (my guess is about 21mm
and shorter) that you need to worry about filter vignetting.  I wouldn't
recommend stacking two or more filters though.  Stacking the hood on one
should be OK.  If you're really in doubt, get a roll of film and shoot a
test.  A light colored (pale blue or very light tan) flat surface that is
uniformly illuminated makes a great subject for a test.  Just be sure you
don't confuse fall-off with vignetting though.

-- John