Re: [OM] 8mm fisheye - was Price opinions wanted

Subject: Re: [OM] 8mm fisheye - was Price opinions wanted
From: Steven_Read@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 09:42:10 -0500

My impression is that when found at all, these are almost all EX+/LN- (perfect
glass, little or no brassing, with caps and case) because most were treasured,
well cared for, but little used.  And if not well cared for, with that exposed
front, they could quickly become... well I suppose someone might find a use for
a soft-focus fish.  Truly new, never used seems unlikely, but if true, rare - I
doubt many dealers just bought these on spec.  I'm told the used market price,
before ebay exploded the market for OM, seemed to be 600 to 800 USD but now the
few (read three in the four years I've been watching) that have been for sale
were in the $1000 +/- 200.  $1500 isn't out of line if you can find a collector
to buy it , or someone desparate for one (insert McKeown's mantra here ;-), did
I mention that these are rare?  I've seen more 350/2.8's in circulation.  Oh,
and though I wouldn't have paid that much for it in the first place, I wouldn't
part with mine for a measly $1500.

Tom Scales wrote:
>>Found a new in box 8mm fisheye.  Seller's going to put it on ebay soon, but
might part with it in advance (seller might be a list member, don't know).
Minimum price is $1500. Is that good?  No data from Skip on this one.
Probably too rich for my blood.  Anyone interested? I can put you in touch.
<<