[OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1461

Subject: [OM] Re: olympus-digest V2 #1461
From: wiliam.wagenaar@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 11:22:12 +0100

Phillip Franklin wrote:
-----
>I'm sure some of you optics experts can help me here. I was making a feeble
attempt at
>shooting a self portrait by shooting my reflection in a wall mirror with the
135 mm lens.
>While focusing I noticed a unique phenomena which puzzled me a bit.  I was
standing about >6
>feet from the mirror.  While I was in focus, objects a few feet behind me (in
the mirror)
>were not.  I would think that since the mirror is a flat surface all of the
objects in >this
>reflection would be on the same distance from the camera, hence be in focus.
I've never
>thought of this phenomena before.  I guess the mirror is only acting a bounce
off plane so
>that the actual optical distance would be the twice the distance to the mirror
(the true
>distance of the travel of light).  I'm sure this goes by some fancy name.  Am I
explaining
>this correctly?
>
>Also are any of you experieced at shooting self portraits into a mirror?  I
know it is a
>strange thing to do, but it seems interesting.
-----

Hello Phillip
Your 2nd guess was the right one The mirror only bounces off the light that
falls on it. You do not focus on the mirror but on the image bounced by the
mirror (The mirror too is an optical instrument) If this weren't the case it
would not be possible to make catadioptric (=mirror) lenses.

You can check this when focussing on the image. You will see the image is sharp
and the edges of the mirror are clearly ouit of focus. or the edge of the mirror
is sharp and the image is not. I found it out doing a self portrait years ago.

I also had the same idea about using a mirror for the self portrait (Maybe I
still will) and putting some stuff behind me
Besides the obvious OM's and zuiko's it would have to contain:
stereo (should contain tubes instead of transistors)
car (should be SUV!)
bicycle (should be Ti/carbon, handmade frame)
Albums (should contain at least one ELP album, but I prefer Genesis)
and lots more.

So I will become the tiny spec in the right hand bottom side of the photo and
will be hidden behind one of my (OM) bodies!

B C-ing U (in your self-portrait shot)

Wiliam Wagenaar, Middelburg, NL