[OM] Monkey on my back

Subject: [OM] Monkey on my back
From: Charles Packard <packardc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 19 Feb 2000 15:05:11 -0600
    Went to a trade show here in Birmingham (USA) today. As soon as I
walked through the doors the monkey began dancing the Zuiko two-step on
my head. Oh all right, ZOly, that's the monkey's name, started dancing
last week in anticipation. Unfortunately, the dance didn't last long.
There wasn't much at all in the way of Olympus/Zuiko goodies. Only three
of the 10-12 dealers had any Olympus/Zuiko or third party equipment or
lenses. Made me wonder if the Olympus Guy had gotten there first.
    One dealer, Wolf Camera, a national chain of photo stores here in
the US,  is very proud of their Olympus/Zuiko equipment judging by the
prices. $325 (US) for a black -2n with 50 f/1.8. Used hard by someone,
One small dent on top and one on the bottom, fair amount of brassing and
chipped paint. No case, no shoe, no MD cover, and a big scratch on the
50mm. $149 (US) for a well used, dusty 75~150 f/4 zoom. $189 (US), I
think,  for a dusty 35-70 f/3.5~4.5 zoom. $129 (US) for a 50mm f/1.4
again well used with a spot on one of the internal elements. One winder
2 in very good condition for $139 (US) The couple of third party lenses
they had were in worse shape and just as expensive. Come on guys, get
just a little bit real!
    The other two dealers with Olympus/Zuiko equipment between them had
a chrome -2 and -2n both in decent shape mostly brassing and scratches.
A black -2n, in better condition than mine. Two -1's and one -1n all
well used and tired, and one OMPC, very good condition w/ case, olympus
strap and manual. Very few lenses to be had, most of the camera bodies
had 50 f/1.8 lenses. And there was a Zykkor 28mm and  Vivitar 65-200 on
a junk table for $25 (US) each.
    One notable point, a talked to several of the dealers and each on of
them told me they were having a hard time getting any Olympus/Zuiko
equipment and a couple were actively looking. Is the market drying up?
Did the Olympus Guy really beat me to the goods? Or is all OUR STUFF
ending up on some internet auction?

Did I er... the monkey purchase anything? He got a package deal from one
dealer who was eager to make a sale:
    OMPC with 50 f/1.8, case, strap and manual.
     Black -2n with 50 f/1.8 and case.
     T20 with case. (The only Olympus flash at the whole show)
      Olympus lens hood for the 50mm Zuiko with box
All for $280 (US) not a great, great deal but good enough. As soon as
I... I mean the monkey... puts some film through them and checks out the
T20. I plan to offer the OMPC, T20 and some other extras for sale to
list members.  The -2n stays with the monkey. Oh John!? I have a CLA job
for you.

In the mean time perhaps some Uriah Heep and a cup of coffee.

- C. Packard - Birmingham, AL USA
 (not a lurker just a quiet participant)