Re: [OM] OM-2000 focusing accuracy

Subject: Re: [OM] OM-2000 focusing accuracy
From: Frank Ernens <fgernens@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 16:48:15 +1100
John Robison wrote

> In a stripdown report in PopPhoto the mirror cage was die
> cast metal,

What were the screws made of? Die cast aluminium is rather
soft and they might pull out, or corrode electrolytically.
If the frame cooled unevenly there could be internal stresses
which caused warping as the crystalline structure changed
over time. What about the mirror supports themselves? How much
do they expand in the heat? And how much play will there be
in the pivot bushing (if there is one) after a bit of use?

> unless the camera suffers impact and
> assuming it was assembeled right at the factory...

Why would you assume that for the money being asked? Many cheap
products are assembled in poor countries by teenage village girls
paying for their brothers' educations. They aren't doing it as a
career - why should they take care? Nor do they come from a place with a
manufacturing tradition, so (e.g.) they may not know there is such a
thing as overtightening a screw. That's why people pay more for "Made
in Japan/Germany/England".

A camera can be expected to suffer impact over its life. It's
a question of how big a hit will kill it.

> what would cause the lens flange/film rails/mirror
> angle&position/screen surface relationship to go out
> of spec?

Temperature, perhaps, or the warping I mentioned above, or
things working loose.

It seems to me that the only way to answer the question is to
test dozens of bodies from several different batches after they
have done some service - say 25,000 shutter cyles or more - and
been subjected to extreme heat, cold and vibration. Then you'd know.