[OM] Re: siliconfilm

Subject: [OM] Re: siliconfilm
From: Phillip Franklin <pfranklin@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 17:41:44 -0800
Matt,

Without getting too technical and thus too confusing as some of my lasts posts
on this
subject, just think of the the size of a normal 35mm film frame as having a
size of 4032 x
2668 pixels (using the example of my Minolta QS 35 Plus film scanner). This
Silicon Film
thing has only a resolution of 1280 x 1024 which is not good enough for a
medium size
printed image (5"x 7"). This film scanner can output a printed image large
enough for a full
bleed 8" x 11" page and even a bit larger . Since the Silicon Film thing is a
single chip
capture you will definitely have pixel bleed. I would assume all film scanners
use a scan
system that would be equal if not better than a true three chip capture.  (the
scanner would
definitely have less noise too).  So I hope this makes sense.  If you plan to
buy a film
scanner get one with at least a 2400 dpi resolution. They are pretty cheap now.

Also take a look at this page on the Silicon Film site:

http://www.siliconfilm.com/fov.htm

This is an excellent explanation of Field of View in Digital vs. 35 mm Film.  I
would say
this explanation speaks for itself.
Hope this helps.

Phillip Franklin