Re: [OM] Tokina AT-X 28-85/3.5-4.5

Subject: Re: [OM] Tokina AT-X 28-85/3.5-4.5
From: "Woodruff" <swaool@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 18 Feb 2000 20:02:16 -0500
Nicholas wrote:

> Can anyone tell me more about this len? Didn't see it on the Olympus OM
> System Lens Tests page.

I can't offer any technical data, but my wife has used one of these for
years on her OM-10 for general "snapshooting" and family-type pictures on
medium speed color negative film.  She loves it, and has taken some great
shots with it.  I've used it enough to offer my two cents.  It's a "two
touch" zoom and has a "close focus" feature (not true macro, though), pretty
sharp, but a bit too slow for the transparency work I like to do, especially
at the long end.  It's also kind of bulky; takes a 62mm filter, and is quite
a bit larger and heavier than the "other" short zoom we own (a Zuiko 35-70
f4).  Definitely not a dog, though, and probably worth having if you can
live with the speed (or lack of it).  My experience has been that most of
the ATX series Tokinas are pretty good.  I had an Tokina ATX 90mm f2.5 macro
that was quite nice.  Never did enough macro to justify carrying it around
(it was pretty big also), and got a Zuiko 85mm f2 to cover that focal length
instead (about 1/3 as big!)

Sincerely,

Mike Woodruff
Largo, Florida