RE: [OM] Ti

Subject: RE: [OM] Ti
From: Chip Stratton <cstrat@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 15:12:48 -0600
> I have personally held an OM-4T in which the top cover where the strap
> lugs attach was completely worn through the titanium to what appeared
> to be aluminum underneath, so unless Ti looks alot like aluminum, I'd
> be inclined not to believe the covers are solid Ti.

Take off the bottom  plate of an OM4Ti,  its  very easy. Note that  it
isn't  very thick.  An  aluminum  plate  of  that  thickness would not begin
to  have  the required stiffness and durability, titanium 'plating' or no.
I'm convinced that at least the bottom plate, and almost certainly the top
plate, are titanium through  and through ( or more probably a
titanium/aluminum/vanadium alloy ).

Titanium alloys are naturally a grey color, but can be highly  polished and
reflective, and  'look like' aluminum.

Chip Stratton
cstrat@xxxxxxxxx