RE: [OM] titanium

Subject: RE: [OM] titanium
From: Olaf Greve <Ogreve@xxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 17 Feb 2000 11:01:27 +0100
Hi,

> In either case, I could rub my finger along it and barely feel it
> comparing the area of aluminum showing through with painted titanium
> on the outside around it.  Whatever titanium is used is quite thin.
> so either the top and bottom plates are extremely thin, or they are not
> solid titanium (or titanium is in fact shiny silver in color).

To me the idea that these covers are not solid titanium makes no sense.
What's the point in just doing a Ti covering over an otherwise aluminium
cover? I would think that if the covers were Ti plated aluminium, the whole
strength and lightweight advantages of using Ti would be thrown right
overboard.

I have a 3Ti/4Ti folder in which they talk a bit about the titanium covers,
I would have to look it up to see what it says exactly, but I think they
wrote the covers are 100% Ti.

I'll see if I can find this out, and if so, I'll try to post the results to
the list. I'm deliberately writing "try to" as I'm about to change
jobs/cities/houses, so somewhere today or so I will most likely uns*bscribe
until I'm set-up again in my new environment...

Cheers!
Olafo