RE: [OM] zone system - in olympus-digest V2 #1447

Subject: RE: [OM] zone system - in olympus-digest V2 #1447
From: "Tom Trottier" <TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 22:11:25 -0500
On 16 Feb 00, at 18:18, Chung, Stephen (AU) spoke about
*RE: [OM] zone system - in olympus-d..* saying

> In answer John Pendley wrote:-
> > Amen, Joseph.  Can you imagine making a once-in-a-lifetime
> > image like "Moonrise, Hernandez, NM"--in one exposure--based on your
> > knowledge of the zone system and the candle power of the moon?  With
> > a view camera?  In my experience, there's nothing that allows me to
> > relate to that.  Given the man's obvious technical mastery, I think
> > much too much has been made of it at the expense of his talent as an
> > artist.  He could convey a mood with the best of them. John
Hey, this photo was the hardest to print - each print took 2+ hours
of dodging & burning in. His trick wasn't just negative exposure.
Given that degree of cosseting, he just had to expose enough to get
his shadows showing, adjusting in printing for all the highlight
sections.

That's one advantage of large negatives - overexposure doesn't block
up with huge grains.

Tom (YMMV)
.
And a happy New Millenium to you and yours.PLEASE NOTE MY NEW eMAIL ADDRESS!
From:Tom Trottier, 400 Slater St. Suite 415,  Ottawa  ON  Canada  K1R 7S7
    __o    <TomATrottier@xxxxxxxx> <TomTrottier@xxxxxxxxxxx> ICQ:57647974
  _ \<     Voice: +1 613 291-1168  fax: 594-5412   No ads or spam, please
(*)/'(*)   Vote for your favourite Olympus camera at
           http://www.freevote.com/booth/fav_camera