RE: [OM] zone system - in olympus-digest V2 #1447

Subject: RE: [OM] zone system - in olympus-digest V2 #1447
From: *- DORIS FANG -* <sfsttj@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 16 Feb 2000 11:49:30 -0500 (EST)

On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, Chung, Stephen (AU) wrote:

> How about just one of OM4/T/Ti, OM3/T/Ti, OM2S/Sp or OM2000 and a bag full
> of short loads from a bulk roll of 35mm instead?
>  - should cut down on exposure variation between bodies
>  - you'd think it would cut down on batch variation in your film

    I think it would be more of a problem than carrying three bodies.
As to the first "bonus", have the shutters checked, and if there's
a wide variation, have them calibrated.
    The funny thing about Moonrise is that it was done without the use
of a meter. AA relied on his vast experience. [Of course, so did many
of the best early photographers] As useful as the Zone System is,
check out some of Edward Weston's prints sometime. He was the
photographer that AA revered the most, and he did not use the Zone
System or a spot meter. Ansel wrote about Weston's way of metering,
and it is a worthwhile read. Most of the people on here would think him
a twit if they saw him doing it. Ansel marveled. Timothy O'Sullivan or
Atget, the two photographers that influenced AA the
most (and who stand as giants in photography) also did not use a
spotmeter.
  One way or another, you're going to have to know and understand how
light washes over things and echoes onto film.
  Had Ansel been a mere "Meter Slave", as most photographers are,
he could not have made "Moonrise". There's a lesson there for all
of us. Learn the analytical if you will, but also be
able to work intuitively, without a meter. The day may come when
that ability could result in the best shot of your life.
    There are many ways of working in photography. The absolutists
(and this is not a comment on Stephen C's post) would have us
 believe that their path is the only/best/right one, but history proves
them wrong. The key is to find a path or working method that agrees
with your own personality, situation and equipment.  One's mileage
may vary, but whatever yields the best images for you is what counts.

                                   *= Doris Fang =*