Re: [OM] Millenium Dome - London, England

Subject: Re: [OM] Millenium Dome - London, England
From: "John Palmer" <john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 14 Feb 2000 21:18:54 -0000
John Hudson asks, all the way from Vancouver:
> I hope to spend a day at the Millenium  Dome sometime in early to mid
March.
> Can anyone advise me on the following:

I've not been there (and from the press reports neither has most of Britain)
but I've heard a few details. So here they are, as best I know:
<snip>

> When are the Dome's opening and closing hours and is it open seven days a
week?
I think it opens at 10 a.m. It shuts at 6 pm sharp. I think it is 7 days a
week.

> Would you be fighting with lots of other visitors to take photos and have
> to wait ages to get your preferred shots?
If our press are to to be believed you will have the place to yourself!

> Can you stay there all day or does your entry ticket require you to leave
> after a stipulated period of time?
I think the ticket is for all day. There is apparently a lot to see, if you
like the kind of stuff that there is IYSWIM.

> Is the Dome readily accessible by tube / surface rail / coach from Gatwick
> and Heathow?
Reasonably. There is a new line on the London Underground - Jubilee line -
which goes close. If you can get to a London rail terminus there will be an
underground station there. Some friends (the ones who got thrown out at 6)
went by train to Waterloo station then got a boat down the river - said the
boat trip was the best bit of the day.

> Any idea of the cost of the tube / surface rail / coach fare from Gatwick
> and how frequently the buses and trains run?
Fare - not really. But I think you can buy combined train/dome tickets which
offer a reasonable saving. From Gatwick to London Victoria there is a fast
train every 15 minutes. Victoria is not the best station from which to get
to the dome, but the fast link from the airport probably compensates.

> Does one have to pay an entry fee to gain access to the Dome and if so how
> much?
Yes. Can't remember, I thought it was quite pricey. Somewhere around 25
pounds sterling for a single adult IIRC.

> Are there any security restrictions .... like not being allowed to carry
> bulky photo bags or back packs?
Quite possibly. But you can usually check your bags in at places like that
and just carry the camera. And the lenses, the tripod, the spirit level....

Another new attraction is the big wheel by the Thames - the "London Eye".
There must be some dramatic pix to be had of that without even getting on
it. It is reservations only at the moment so if you want a ride you will
have to book.

There must be websites for both the Dome and the wheel - have a trawl
around.

If you want me to dig further please mail privately on
john.palmer@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx .

In Zuiko Veritas, (OM-content at last)
John