Re: [OM] In Search of Infinite Wisdom

Subject: Re: [OM] In Search of Infinite Wisdom
From: Jan Steinman <Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sun, 13 Feb 2000 11:05:29 -0800
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx

I have thousands of slides waiting for my attention...

I have now a good quality, 600 x 1200 dpi scanner...

Stupid Question #1: can I lay my slides face down and get ANYTHING?

Not "anything" you'd want to look at! Some people have reported limited success by putting a mirror behind the slides; otherwise, there's no light source. With the mirror trick, contrast is doubled, and the dark bits will be way too dense.

Almost As Bad #2: are there generic slide adapters (I don't think Umax has
one for my 1200S)

Not really. It has to integrate with your scanner. Consider that, as a minimum, it has to turn the internal lamp off. Better tranny adaptors have travelling light sources that move in sync with the scan head.

Pitiful Question #3: ... where's the
cheapest slide scanner i can get that isn't embarrassing?

That depends on what you want to do with them. If it's only for on-screen use, you can probably get by with a few hundred dollars for HP PhotoSmart, Minolta ScanDual -- heck, even Olympus makes one in this range, although it isn't very good.

If you want to print larger than 8x12, or have contrasty slides, you'll probably tire of your low-end scanner quickly, and will move up into the ~$1,000 range, like the Minolta ScanSpeed or Nikon LS-30.

If you want to print REALLY big, or need to crop a lot, or have a lot of dark or light slides to rescue, you'll want to move up to $1500 -- $2000, with the Nikon LS-2000 or the new 4000 spi scanners from Polaroid and Minolta.

At that point, there's a big price break, with some super quality flatbeds at $5k or so, and bottom end drums beginning at $10,000.

I'm poor this
month...

Yes, but next month you may regret buying a scanner that won't do what you want. On the other hand, if you can afford to "write off" a few hundred, it might be a cheap learning experience. If you're going to get a low-end one, look around for a used one, because you'll probably be replacing it sooner or later.

: Jan Steinman <mailto:Jan@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
: Bytesmiths <http://www.bytesmiths.com>