Re: [OM] Yards Sales, was Did I do a dumb thing?

Subject: Re: [OM] Yards Sales, was Did I do a dumb thing?
From: DaEyeGuy@xxxxxxx
Date: Sat, 12 Feb 2000 15:11:56 EST
In a message dated 2/12/00 2:31:41 PM Eastern Standard Time,
tscales@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< Garage sales" are a relatively new phenomenon in the US. I'd say they
 > >started becoming popular around 15-20 years ago, around the time that
 flea
 > >markets started up around the country. Prior to about 1980, anyone who
 sold

 > >things in front of their house was considered very, very odd. >>
I can't say this has been my experience at all!  In Virginia, garage sales
and yard sales have been a popular hobby since the 50's at least. i bought my
very first camera at a yard sale (an old brownie box camera) in 1960 when
only 5....it didn't work, but I thought it was cool to carry around. I too am
in my forties and they have always been around here.
I moved to Richmond from the rural area in the 70's and it was even bigger
there...finding goodies at yard sales and yard estate sales has filled many
an antique shop thruout the state of Virgina. In 1979 I found a kneehole desk
that an elderly lady wanted only $200 for..it later turned out to be a
Suter's $5500 desk! That has always been my biggest and best find..no OM4T's
yet!! (OM Content)
Susan