Re: [OM] Did I do a dumb thing?

Subject: Re: [OM] Did I do a dumb thing?
From: John Levin <jlevin@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 11 Feb 2000 21:54:46 -0500
At 03:24 PM 02/11/2000 +0100, Volkhardt Baumgaertner wrote:
Hey, so given that over here there are no garage sales, so we don't normally
even have the slightest chance of getting DFFGSSs, this makes me feel even
better! <g>

"Garage sales" are a relatively new phenomenon in the US. I'd say they started becoming popular around 15-20 years ago, around the time that flea markets started up around the country. Prior to about 1980, anyone who sold things in front of their house was considered very, very odd. After 1980, they started increasing rapidly in popularity. I would say that there's a story for the anthropologists there somewhere, but I doubt whether any studies have been made.

I have learned at least one thing, that cultural changes happen almost overnight, and you rarely realize change is happening until it's over.

(OT content) My guess is that the digital photographic revolution is happening now, and will be complete by 2005. By 2010, my guess is that chemical based film will be difficult to find and expensive. Once the mass market goes over to point and shoot digital cameras, film sales will drop so fast it will make your head spin and both Kodak and Fuji will start closing factories. When you see digital print shops popping up in supermarkets, the revolution will be just about complete.