[OM] OM Equipment in Boston Area

Subject: [OM] OM Equipment in Boston Area
From: Chuck Norcutt <norcutt@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2000 06:36:54 -0500
Christopher Gengaro said:
...I lived in Boston for 7 years in the 1980's and seem to recall
a few shops on State Street, including State Street Camera.  Are these
still
around.  I also recall Ferrante-Dege in either Boston or Cambridge.
And, I
seem to recall a used camera shop outside of Boston, in Belmont perhaps.
Can anyone point me in the right direction. Thanks.
There is a Ferrante-Dege in Cambridge a couple blocks down Mass. Ave.
from Harvard Square.  The last time I looked the used Oly equipment was
a couple of 50mm 1.8's, a 135mm 3.5, a Vivitar 28mm and 75-205 (?)
two-touch zoom (looked large and heavy).  I'll probably be passing by
there this afternoon and will check to see if there is any change in the
stock.  Don't hold your breath though.  It's a small store and not
exactly a hot bed of Oly activity.  Prices are high but they do bargain.

There is another small store in Harvard Square (SBH I think) that is
owned by Hunt's.  They sell even less used equipment.  As of yesterday
they had nothing Oly.

I drive through Belmont center every morning on my way to work in
Cambridge.  The only camera store I know of in Belmont is a small Ritz
store in the center of town.  Never been in there.  Since Ritz seems to
have bought up many stores perhaps this is the one you're thinking of.
Actually, I just thought to look in the phonebook and see there is a
place called Zeff Photo Supply and listing itself in the book under A-1
Camera Sales and Service.  Says they've been in business for 60 years.
Maybe that's it.  They're at 11 Brighton St.  Call 617-489-3311.

I think Hunt's is the largest store in the area.  They're at 100 Main
St. in Melrose.  Call 781-662-8822.  It's not very far from me but I've
never been there or attended their annual photo fair.

Downtown Boston.  Don't know.

Chuck Norcutt
Woburn, Massachusetts, USA