[OM] bokeh and blades

Subject: [OM] bokeh and blades
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 21:03:34 -0800 (PST)
====================
 Having noticed that different lenses I have produced noticeably different
results in terms of out of focus areas (bokeh) I wondered why.  Then I
noticed that my lenses did not all have the same number of aperture blades
and I wondered why that would be and also noticed that there seemed to be
a correlation between what I considered pleasing out of focus rendition
and the number of aperture blades a lens had.  It seemed to be that the
more blades a lens had the more I liked it's bokeh.

it is an issue, but those lenses with more blades have better bokeh
wide open too, and wide open, the diaphragm design is totally irrelevant.

I think an aperture with more blades matters some, but also I think
companies are more likely to put a diaphragm with more blades on
a lens that was designed to have better bokeh.

Lastly, Nikon lenses, without question, have worse bokeh than Olympus
lenses, yet the nikon diaphragms usually have more blades.

Joseph