RE: [OM] How many aperture blades on 50/2 macro?

Subject: RE: [OM] How many aperture blades on 50/2 macro?
From: "John A. Lind" <jlind@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 22:33:01 +0000
At 01:25 2/10/00 , Vaughan wrote:
>The Leica lens probably has a lot of blades because it's already quite
>big because it did not use a telephoto design (Tessar?, Planar? I dunno)
>and price is no concern anyway.

The lens names you mention are Carl Zeiss trademarks.  I don't think you
would find those names on a Leitz lens.  The only Carl Zeiss lenses I know
of made for a Leica (either a Sonnar or Tessar) were made in a LTM during
W.W.II, and they are very, very rare.

Did you mean that the Leitz design was similar to one of the Carl Zeiss
ones?  Many other lens makers (some of them very good ones) copied the
basics of Carl Zeiss designs as patents ran out on them; the Tessar in
particular.

-- John