[OM] Olympus Digital Stratagy was Oly/Leica

Subject: [OM] Olympus Digital Stratagy was Oly/Leica
From: Mike Stoesz <mstoesz@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 09 Feb 2000 20:19:02 -0700
Good evening to all;

On the topic of image quality of digital vs/ film and Olympus vs/ Nikon,
Canon.

Olympus C-2500 and the new Fuji S-1 blew the other cameras out of the water
so to speak in the digital camera shoot-out at PMA.

There was absolutely no question about the tonal range, sharpness,
resolution edge to edge with either of these cameras. The Nikon D-1 and
Canon (can not remember the model) had soft edges by comparison.

The Olympus C-2500 has a fixed mount zoom lens, we own one and use it for
digital portraiture.  It gives outstanding results up to 8x12 and acceptable
to 11x14.

The new Fuji S-1, we ordered 2 to be delivered in June, is 6 megapixel with
Fuji's new chip and is the equivalant to the over $20,000 single pass and
scanning units. The Fuji is built on the Nikon N-60 chassis  and uses Nikon
lenses but it is the new chip that makes the difference. They also showed a
4.7 megapixel pocket size non-slr digital camera that was also outstanding.

We canceled our order the Nikon D-1.  The Fuji S-1 is to be available in
June at the $4000 level saving $1000 over the Nikon.

The new Olympus C-3030 is also outstanding in its' price range.

If you remove the lens from the Nikon D-1 you can observe a flat plate of
some sort of plastic material, possibly a fiber optic plate, between the
lens and mirror box. My guess is that this plate receives the light and
redirects at the correct angle for the CCD receptors.

Best to all, Mike

Mike Stoesz, Rainbow Photography, Laramie, Wy.