Re: Sv: [OM] 55mm F1.2

Subject: Re: Sv: [OM] 55mm F1.2
From: ALEXSCIFI@xxxxxxx
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 14:49:51 EST
In a message dated 2000-02-09 1:53:38 PM Eastern Standard Time,
lars.bundesen@xxxxxxxxxx writes:

<< According to an old Swedish test I have, the Zuiko 55mm/1.2 is more than
 just "reasonably good".

 At 30 lines/mm the MTF values are (as I can see from the lines shown):

 F1.2 center 0,53, edge 0,28
 F 2.8 center 0,75, edge 0,43
 F 8  center 0,79, edge 0,77

 A Canon SCC 55mm/1.2, tested at the same time has the same values (i.e.
 around 0,8) for F8, but significanty lower values at 1.2 and 2.8:

 1.2 center 0,42, edge 0,17
 2.8 center 0,59, edge 0,30

 Verdict for the the OM 55/1.2: Already fully open this lens gives good
 center sharpness and is fully acceptable for portraits and photography at
 low light levels. Stopping down to F2.8 already gives an extremely good
 sharpness in center and fully acceptable edge sharpness. Stopping down to
 F8 only improves edge performance, which together with center sharpness
 here is absolutely top level.
 (My translation)

 The 50mm/1.2 is probably better, as it is a newer design and also
 multicoated, but the 55 mm is a good lens in my opinion.

 Lars

This is an outstanding result, given that the Canon 55F1.2SSC is multicoated
and the OM 55 is not!

Alex