[OM] Oprah

Subject: [OM] Oprah
From: Joseph <joseph@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 9 Feb 2000 02:16:54 -0800 (PST)
=======================
The Beef Cattle Industry claimed that the airing of the show was untruthful

In my opinion, she should have lost the case.  I felt the show was
irresponsible, however to the contrary , she prevailed and I think it had
something to do with her stardom and the argument of freedom of speech, that
the jury took into account.  If she would have been tried in Montana,
perhaps a different outcome?

True, I doubt a fair trial could have been organized in Montana or
Wyoming or Eastern Oregon.  But the essence of the suit was that
Oprah said, after hearing about the details of Mad Cow disease
that it was almost enough for her to want to become a vegetarian.

The jury found that she has the right to say that the existence of
Mad Cow disease is enough for her to want to be a vegetarian, and
Oprah prevailed.

Joseph